What is Influenza?
Influenza is caused by infection of influenza viruses. It is spread periodically throughout the year and commonly found during rainy season and winter. Influenza viruses are capable of evolving into a new stronger strain.
Influenza can be transmitted through breathing, coughing and sneezing.
Symptom of Influenza
General symptoms of influenza are similar to the common cold, except that it can develop into a more serious symptom, may cause fever and lead to complications. Patient with influenza will have nasal congestion, cough, sore throat, high fever, headache, fatigue and muscle pain. These symptoms generally last 2-3 days.However, in some cases the symptoms might lead to a more serious health condition such as pneumonia, in which case patient needs to be admitted to a hospital. Fatigue and dizziness might persist for several weeks after recovery from influenza.
Influenza can be prevented by:
1. Receiving annual vaccination, especially for people with high risk of infection such as women in their pregnancy, young children and older people
2. Taking care of physical well-being and keeping your body warm
3. Washing hands with soap regularly
4. Do not share personal items with others
5. Avoiding crowded space
6. Avoiding being in contact or sleeping with patient during contagious period
Thankyou to the Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Public Health for the information.