Ectopic pregnancy happens when a fertilized egg implants itself outside of the womb. It usually occurs in the fallopian tube but can also occur in the ovaries, cervic and abdomen. Without immediate treatment, ectopic pregnancy can be life threatening.
Ectopic pregnancy has several causes such as abnormality in the fallopian tube, chronic inflammation of fallopian tube, sexually transmitted disease, which may obstruct egg from traveling to the womb.
Symptoms of Ectopic Pregnancy
In the beginning, ectopic pregnancy may show no symptoms apart from irregular period; after a while patient might experience;
1. Stomach pain with interval cramps which can be on both sides or one side. The symptom may disappear or persist.
2. Vaginal bleeding
3. Dizziness and fainting which occurs when the fallopian tube is damaged and bleeding inside.
The doctor will examine the menstrual history of the patient and other symptoms as well as perform pregnancy test from urine, blood and gynecological test, in order to diagnose and evaluate the severity of the symptom.
Other Conditions that Should be Observed
1. Pregnancy complications such as miscarriage
2. Other gynecological complications such as pelvic inflammatory disease or salpingitis
3. Other complications that are not related to gynecology such as gastritis, appendicitis, etc.
Treatment for Ectopic Pregnancy
The treatment depends on the symptom and duration of the disease, the doctor may consider operation or medical treatment, as well as close observation of symptom.